- Nine new Memoji stickers
- iCloud Drive: Share Folders
- Mail: New navigation bar
- CarPlay Improvements
- CarKeys as a new function
- Universal apps for iPhone, iPad, Apple TV and Mac
Memojis and Mail
When it comes to communication, Apple has introduced smaller innovations with iOS 13.4. Nine more Memoji stickers are now available in the emoji keyboard, complementing the feature built into iOS 13, which works independently of the TrueDepth camera on all compatible devices. The new stickers include a laughing face with hearts, party mood or even a shocked face. The stickers can already be used in many third-party apps.
A small but important innovation is the reorganization of the menu bar in Mail. While the recycle bin was too close to the response button and often mails were deleted by easy typing, Apple changed that now. Now you put both elements on opposite sides and additionally add the button to move and create a new email.
Apple’s car efforts: CarPlay and CarKey
CarPlay also supports third-party navigation apps in the dashboard with iOS 13.4, so you no longer necessarily rely on Apple maps. In addition, Apple improved overall navigation display so that, for example, calls continue to display information about the route.
An unannounced highlight is CarKey. As part of the Car Connectivity Consortium, Apple is working on the future of the car key. With CarKey, you want to offer a digital and secure key that can be shared with other people and opens and even starts the vehicle via NFC. The keyholder can easily manage the shares and even send them via iMessage.
iCloud Drive: Now with folder shares
Another useful feature is sharing iCloud Drive folders. The feature was supposed to be released with iOS 13 and has now been added to iOS 13.4, macOS 10.15.4, and iPadOS 13.4. Apple is catching up with its cloud competitors, allowing users to easily share entire folders. Previously, you could only share individual files. As a result, several users can now work on projects at the same time and make the data available to everyone in a synchronized manner.
Unversal apps for all
As with iPadOS 13.4, Apple is also expanding the universal apps that previously only worked between devices such as the iPhone, iPad and Apple TV. Now the feature is also available on mac, so developers can assemble app bundles that include apps for different platforms. If the developer allows it, it is sufficient to buy an app only once, so that you can use it free of charge on all other devices. Previously, this only worked between iOS-based devices.
iOS 13.4: These are the release notes
With iOS 13.4, you get new Memoji stickers and iCloud Drive folder sharing in the Files app. This update also includes bug fixes and improvements.
- Nine new memoji stickers, including “Smiling Face with Hearts,” “Squeezed Hands” and “Party Face”
- iCloud Drive folder sharing in the Files app
- Options to restrict access only to people you have explicitly invited or to allow access for anyone who has a link to the folder
- Access rights to select who can make changes and upload files or who can only read and download files
- Always visible controls for deleting, moving, replying, or composing a message in the conversation alder
- Replies to encrypted emails are automatically encrypted when S/MIME is configured
App Store with Apple Arcade
- Universal purchase support allows you to use once purchased, participating apps on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac and Apple TV
- Display of recently played arcade games in the Arcade tab to continue playing on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac and Apple TV
- List display for “Show all games”
- Support for third-party navigation apps for the CarPlay Dashboard
- View information during a call on the CarPlay Dashboard
- AR Overview supports audio playback in USDZ files
- Support for input suggestions in Arabic
This update also includes bug fixes and improvements. This update:
- Adds an ad in the status bar when disconnecting the VPN connection on iPhone models with full screen displays
- Fixes an issue in the Camera app where the viewfinder may appear as a black screen after startup
- Fixes an issue where the Photos app appears to be taking up excessive amount of space
- Resolves a problem in the Photos app that might prevent you from sharing a picture with the Messages app when iMessage is disabled
- Fixes an issue in mail where messages may not appear in the correct order
- Resolves an issue in Mail where the conversation list may display blank rows
- Resolves an issue where mail can crash when tapping the “Share” button in the overview
- Fixes an issue in Settings where mobile data can be incorrectly displayed as disabled
- Fixes an issue in Safari where Web pages are not inverted when both dark mode and reverse smart are enabled
- Resolves an issue where text copied from web content may not be visible when inserted when dark mode is enabled
- Fixes an issue in Safari where CAPTCHA tiles may appear incorrectly
- Resolves an issue where the Reminders app may not issue new messages for an overdue recurring reminder until it is marked as “done”
- Resolves an issue where the Reminders app may send messages for completed reminders
- Fixes an issue where iCloud Drive appears to be available in Pages, Numbers, and Keynote without logging in
- Fixes an issue in Apple Music where music videos may not be streamed in high quality
- Resolves a problem where the CarPlay connection is lost in certain vehicles
- Fixes an issue in CarPlay where the display in the Maps app may briefly disappear from the current area
- Fixes an issue in the Home app where tapping an activity message from a security camera can open another recording
- Resolves an issue where the shortcuts may not appear when tapping the share menu from a screenshot
- Improves the Burmese keyboard so that punctuation marks are now accessible via numbers and symbols
Some features may not be available in all countries or regions, or on all Apple devices. For more information about the security aspects of Apple software updates, see:
Apple iPhone 11 (128 GB) – (PRODUCT)RED