This is new in macOS Catalina 10.15.4
- Communication limits in screen time
- Divisible iCloud Drive folders
- New accessibility features
- Real-time lyrics
- Universal apps
The new operating system update for Mac is here and brings some new features. With macOS 10.15, for example, Apple wanted to introduce communication limits into screen time and now extends this so that social contacts can also be digitally limited – a feature that can be especially useful for children.
Apple catches up with Dropbox and Google Drive
Also announced was the sharing of iCloud Drive folders. This means that users can no longer only share individual files with others, but also entire folders. In doing so, Apple is catching up with competitors such as Dropbox and Google Drive.
New control aid: Control mouse pointer with the head
In addition, Apple is also introducing a new operating tool with the update, which allows users to operate the mouse pointer with head movements. This does not require a special camera or sensor, the detection of movements works only with the integrated cameras of corresponding Macs.
The new operating system expands Apple’s efforts to bring iPadOS app to the Mac by allowing cross-platform purchases. This way, you don’t have to buy an app multiple times to use on your Mac and iPad.
Last but not least, macOS Catalina 10.15.4 also brings an improved lyrics feature to the Mac. This means that this can now be displayed in real time for singing. In addition, Apple has made some performance improvements and bug fixes to further stabilize the operating system after the bumpy launch of macOS Catalina.
How to upgrade your Mac to macOS Catalina 10.15.4
Apple removed the macOS software updates from the Mac App Store some time ago. To update, click the Apple logo in the menu bar at the top left of the screen and select System Settings. Then click “Software Update” and install the new macOS version there.
macOS Catalina 10.15.4: These are the release notes
With macOS Catalina 10.15.4, you get the ability to share iCloud Drive folders, set communication limits for screen time, use a timed text view in Apple Music, and more. The update also improves the stability, reliability, and security of your Mac.
- Share iCloud Drive folders in Finder
- Options to restrict access only to people you have explicitly invited or to allow anyone who has a link to the folder
- Access rights to select who is allowed to make changes or upload files, or who can only read and download files
- Communication limits on who your children are allowed to communicate with and who can contact them during the day or during the rest period
- Control your children’s playback of music videos
- Timed text view for Apple Music, including the ability to jump to a track’s favorite location by clicking a line in The Lyrics view
- Option to import Chrome passwords into your iCloud keychain to easily fill in your passwords in Safari and on all your devices
- The ability to duplicate tabs and close all tabs to the right of the current tab
- Support for HDR playback of Netflix content on compatible computers
App Store with Apple Arcade
- Universal Purchase support allows you to use once purchased, participating apps on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac, and Apple TV
- Display of recently played arcade games in the Arcade tab to continue playing on iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Mac and Apple TV
Pro Display XDR
- Customized reference modes that you can customize to meet the needs of specific workflows by selecting different options for color gamut, white point, luminosity, and transmission functions
- Head capture setting to control a cursor exactly with head movements on the screen
This update also includes bug fixes and other enhancements:
- Output high-contrast content (HDR) to HDR10-compatible displays and third-party TVs connected via DisplayPort or HDMI
- Support for OAuth authentication with Outlook.com accounts for increased security
- Support for CalDav migration when upgrading to iCloud reminders on a second device
- Resolve an issue where text copied between apps may not be visible when dark mode is enabled
- Fixed an issue in Safari where CAPTCHA tiles could be displayed incorrectly
- Resolve an issue where “reminders” may send messages for completed reminders
- Fixed a screen brightness issue after exiting hibernation for the LG UltraFine 5K display
Some features may not be available in all regions or on all devices. For detailed information on the content of this update, see: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT210642
For more information about the security aspects of this update, see: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
Logitech Streamcam Webcam for Live Streaming and Content Creation, Vertical Video in Full HD 1080p at 60 fps, Smart Autofocus, USB-C, for YouTube, Gaming Twitch, PC/Mac – White