The famous underground developer Pwn20wnd has unveiled a new tool to apply a jailbreak to any iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch from the iPhone 6s. Exploiting a vulnerability in virtually every version of iOS from iOS 11, it’s applicable even with the latest version of the operating system.
Jailbreak is the equivalent of “root” on Android. This gives the user rights that they should not normally have. It opens doors. This is sometimes positive, but it can also be negative. Since the first generations of iPhone, jailbreak exists. Its popularity is fluctuating, but the community behind this practice has remained active. Pwn20wnd (pronounced “pawn-to-owned”) is certainly one of the best known developers.
Read also: iOS: a loophole would allow jailbreaking for life almost all iPhone models
After a small teasing campaign that took place last week, the latter today introduced a new tool that brings jailbreak to all iPhones and iPads (as well as iPod Touch) released until the end of last year. This includes iPhone 11 / 11 Pro / 11 Max Pro, for example, so far still preserved by this practice. But that still excludes the iPhone SE 2020. This certainly also excludes the latest iPad Pro (11 inches and 12.9 inches).
From iOS 11 to iOS 13.5
As always, the iOS version is important, since the vulnerability used to circumvent its protections. So be aware that the new method works with iOS 11 (and all its sub-versions) and iOS 13, up to iOS 13.5 Apple started rolling out a few days ago. It is also compatible with many sub-versions of iOS 12, except those between iOS 12.3 and iOS 12.3.2 and between iOS 12.4.2 and iOS 12.4.5 (included).
According to Pwn20wnd, this new method is safe, easy to install and does not degrade iOS protections. The sandbox built into the operating system to insulate applications is still active. It supports updates (but not Apple officials obviously). It is compatible with Apple’s online services, whether it’s iCloud, iMessage, Apple Pay or Facetime. Jailbreak reads “unsigned” code to install an alternative store (the famous AltStore that offers many emulators for retrogaming) and unwanted apps from Apple (such as emulators). Jailbreak offers unlimited access to storage. And it offers some extra settings.
How do I install Unc0ver from macOS or Windows?
Are you convinced? Do you want to move on to the dark side of the Force? Here are some information and big steps. Note that more complete tutorials can be found on the Unc0ver website and that the procedure changes slightly if you use macOS or Windows to inject the necessary application. We will only detail here those that don’t require an Apple developer account.
Let’s start with Windows
- First, make sure iTunes is installed.
- Download the pack to install AltStore that matches Windows.
- Unpack the archive and launch the installation software. Follow the procedure.
- Once AltStore is installed, press the Windows button and type “AltServer.” Click on the diamond-shaped logo.
- Select “Install Altstore” and then your iOS device.
- Enter your Apple ID and password.
- The following steps are common to macOS.
Let’s continue with macOS
- Download the AltStore pack that matches macOS. Open it to mount the virtual drive.
- Transfer AltStore to your application folder, just like any other software.
- Launch the Altstore app (permission will certainly be required depending on your security settings).
- Tap the app name (next to the Apple menu), then Options and install the Altstore plug-in for the Mail app.
- Open Mail. Click on the name of the app, then select Preferences, General, Manage modules (bottom). Check the corresponding box at AltStore. Apply and restart.
- Connect your device in USB to the computer.
- Come back in the’AltStore application. Tap the AltStore menu (always next to the Apple) and select Install AltStore, then your device (which is connected).
- Enter your Apple ID and password when the software asks for it.
- The following steps are common to Windows.
Here are the steps to follow from the iPhone (or any other iOS device)
- Open Settings, then General, then Device Management, an option that won’t be visible by default in iOS 13. If it does not appear (under VPN), tutorials exist to make it reappear.
- Select your Apple ID and select “trust” at AltStore.
- Then go with a web browser on the unc0ver.dev page. Click the download button on the Unc0ver archive and press the “open in Altstore” button that appears.
- Wait for the Unc0ver app to install. Then launch the app that will jailbreak the device.